Friday, May 9, 2014

DIY friday

I'm sure you have all seen this "Mermaids Have More Fun" tee all over pinterest and instagram. Well, being a Mermaids fanatic, I looked around for it and all I could find were awful font imitation ones for 20-30 quid! I decided to make my own, especially after watching The Fashion Citizen's DIY Graphic Tee (Super Simple).


You will need:
  1. a t-shirt or make your own
  2. Fabric Transfer Paper I got 20 x A4 Iron On T- Shirt Transfer Paper for Light Fabric on ebay for 7pounds. So each page is 35pence, not bad (unless you're like me and make a bunch of mistakes haha)
  3.  Graphic (e-mail if you would like to use mine!)
  4. iron or heat press

I decided to make my tee an off shoulder, tie up crop top. 
OMG it was so hard to transfer the print. I was ironing and ironing (with the school iron) and finally I read the instruction and luckily I have a heat press at my disposal and followed the instruction of 40 seconds and voila. Perfecto. I made my own graphic on Adobe Illustrator. 

The fabric is 70% Bamboo and 30% Organic Cotton, SO SOFT! 
Got it at Wazzodle (ethical fabric produced in USA/ Canada). 
I don't really ever make patterns for casual knit wear... so I don't have exact measurements but that is the pattern I used more or less. I'm really going to miss the twin needle cover stitch machine at my uni!

xo

p.s. some interesting things I found this week:

I always preach about going against mass production/ fast cheap fashion, I think ModeLab outdid herself in her post Easing Into Buying From Philanthropic Brands.

How amazing is it to print off any cosmetic product at the comfort of your home? Harvard woman, Grace Choi talks about 3D Print Makeup !


twitter/ instagram: @emilysdiary

28 comments:

GemsVerslun said...

Love this T-shirt!

www.gemsshopiceland.blogspot.com

Sartorial Diner said...

What a cute top. I love the message!

ledressingdelaurie said...

Great Tee shirt !

ledressingdelaurie said...

Great Tee shirt !

Kathryn said...

Love the saying! And how perfect to just make your own than spend extra money on ones that just aren't right :)

Rebeca Muñoz López said...

Cool tee!

www.urbanikamoda.blogspot.com

Gail J said...

awww at first i'd planned to go in August, but I have to attend my friend's wedding! Hopefully I'll see you :)

Margaret Dallospedale said...

Wowww
love this DIY
thank you for sharing
Kisses
The Indian Savage Diary

SHAIRA MANALO said...

Nice DIY :) It looks good on you.

Have a great week ahead! :)
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Instagram: @shai_manalo

xoxo,
SHAIRA
http://missdream-girl.blogspot.com/

Lady parisienne said...

Nice DIY, I love the result so much!!!

awhite said...

Too cool, great DIY!

-Ashley
http://lestylorouge.com

Mihaela said...

Such a lovely post! Have an amazing day:))

mfashionfreak♥blog

Natalia Bosch said...

Great post,

Lots of love.
www.NataliaBosch.com

Natalia Bosch said...

Great post,

Lots of love.
www.NataliaBosch.com

toastandgrits.com said...

DIY's are the best!
xoxo, Ty
http://wwww.toastandgrits.com

Jessica Mattioli said...

so cute!

The Fashion Heels
Facebook
Twitter

Diva In Me said...

Wow..nicely done! =)

Jeanne said...

Lovely DIY idea! Well done Miss! ;)
XO
Jeanne
http://fashionmusingsdiary.blogspot.fr

Antonella c'est moi said...

Cool tee kisses

Nadieyaa Gibb said...

nice! look good on you! :)

http://glamiseverything.blogspot.com

Karen Liesens said...

Great DIY! Can't wait to try it out!

x Karen
http://dressinginlabels.blogspot.com

What Kenny Hearts said...

This is so gorgeous! Enjoy the day! :)



I AM ALSO ON: Instagram @kennydaily, Bloglovin and Facebook (i follow back, just let me know your links)


xoxo;
What Kenny Hearts a Fashion Blog

Dario Venuti said...

perfect post

FASHIONSEDUCER.COM

Monica L. said...

Cool DIY!:)
I often paint on t-shirts for my friends and myself.
xxMonica
http://sunstreetmonidesign.blogspot.com

Emily Tang said...

love your blog
I'm new visitor to your site.
would you like to follow each other to keep in touch?
MY-Emily
Please, let me know! ;)
Follow me and I will follow you back for certain
(leave a blog link at my blog after follow so I can go back ur blog again)

Emily Tang said...

I'm new visitor to your site.
would you like to follow each other to keep in touch?
MY-Emily
Please, let me know! ;)
Follow me and I will follow you back for certain
(leave a blog link at my blog after follow so I can go back ur blog again)

petra lorietta said...

this tee is so cool!:)♥ lovely diy!

www.Lorietta.cz

Caro * said...

Beautiful top <3
I love this idea :)